Postdoctoral Position, starting date Aug 2004, duration 18 months POSITION FILLED IN
Applications are invited for a postdoctoral research assistantship in supramolecular photochemistry. The project will involve the synthesis of chromophore-appended-transition metal complexes and the investigation of their photophysical properties. The systems are designed to undergo photoinduced inter-component electron transfer in order to initiate photocatalytic processes in aqueous or biphasic media.
The research programme is led by Prof. Robin Perutz in collaboration with Dr. Simon Duckett and Dr. Anne Duhme-Klair. Experience in synthetic inorganic and organic chemistry is essential and expertise in photochemistry would be an advantage. The applicant has the opportunity to spend approximately 6 weeks in at least one other laboratory within the network.
1. Jedner, S. B., James, R., Perutz, R. N., Duhme-Klair, A.-K., Selective Signalling of Molybdate by a Siderophore Derivative, J. Chem. Soc., Dalton Trans., 2001, 2327 - 2329.
2. Gabrielsson, A., Hartl, F., Lindsay-Smith, J. R., Perutz, R. N., Photo-induced ligand substitution at a remote site via electron transfer in a porphyrin-appended rheniumcarbonyl supermolecule, Chem. Commun., 2002, 950 - 951.
3. Aspley, C. J., Lindsay-Smith J. R., Perutz, R. N., Pursche D., Synthesis and photochemistry of free base and zinc tetraaryl porphyrins mono-substituted with tungsten pentacarbonyl via a pyridine linker, J. Chem. Soc., Dalton Trans., 2002, 170-180.
4. Jedner, S. B., Perutz, R. N., Duhme-Klair, A.-K., Synthesis and Characterisation of a Siderophore-based luminescent sensor for molybdate, Z. anorg. allg. Chem., 2003, 629, 2421 - 2426.
5. Lewis, J. R.; Busotti, L.; Foggi, p.; Perutz, R. N.; Moore, J. N., Picosecond forward and nanosecond back electron transfer in an aza crown substituted [(bpy)Re(CO)3(L)]+ complex: direct observation by time-resolved UV-visible spectroscopy, J. Phys Chem. A, 2002, 106, 12202 - 12208.
6. Godard, C.; Callaghan, P.;Cunningham, J. L.; Duckett, S.B.; Lohman, J.A.B.; Perutz, R.N. NMR characterisation of unstable solvent and dihydride complexes generated at low temperatures by in-situ UV irradiation Chem. Comm., 2002, 2836.
Cost of living in York:
· self contained furnished flat in York, average £450 per month excluding bills
· furnished room in a shared house or flat, £200 - 250 per month
Other living expenses: approx. £300 per month
For informal inquiries, contact Prof. Robin Perutz (tel. +44 (0)1904 432500, email firstname.lastname@example.org).
For further particulars and details of how to apply, please see or write to the Personnel Office, University of York, York YO10 5DD, UK or email email@example.com.